Stop and Smell the Coffee
Believe it or not coffee might actually be healthy. That’s a relief to those of us who can’t get our day started without it. While there is still some debate as to the actual benefits that the antioxidants found in coffee play in our health, some research suggests that coffee drinkers are at a lower risk for several health issues.
Here are some fun facts that will make you feel better about grabbing that second cup of Joe in the morning.
1. It’s no surprise that coffee gives people energy. It contains caffeine for goodness sake! However, while caffeine should be consumed in moderation, it has also been shown to help stimulate brain function and increase metabolism.
2. One cup of coffee contains several important nutrients including riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese, magnesium, niacin and potassium.
3. It’s possible that coffee can aid in easing depression. According to a 2011 study performed by Harvard University women who drink four or more cups of caffeinated coffee per day may reduce their risk of depression by around 20 percent.
4. Coffee contains a lot of antioxidants, which help our bodies to fight disease. Because Americans drink so much of it, coffee is considered one of the leading sources of antioxidants in the Western diet.
5. It can help reduce cavities because it contains trigonelline, an antibacterial compound (of course, this is assuming you don’t load up on too much sugar, flavored syrups and whipped cream!).
6. Reduces the risk of gallstones by fifty percent.
7. Reduces the risk of colon cancer, Parkinson’s disease, cirrhosis of the liver, liver cancer and even Type II Diabetes.
8. If you’re drinking decaf then you can rest easy knowing that those who drink two or more cups of decaffeinated coffee per day cut their risk of getting rectal cancer by about 50 percent.
Midtown Market is known for serving up fresh brewed coffee using beans roasted by coffee roasters right here in Paducah, such as Righteous Roast and Paducah Coffee Company. You can grab a cup of coffee to go using our drive thru window or you can pick something up while you’re shopping in the store.
As with most foods and beverages that we consume, moderation is key to a healthy lifestyle. So while researchers agree that the health benefits of coffee far outweigh the negative it is also good to remember that caffeinated coffee should still be consumed with moderation and good judgment.
Drive Thru Coffee Window Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.